Butterflies - help!


From My Photo Blog ISO: 400Exposure: 1/250 secAperture: f/6.3Focal Length: 146mm

While trekking along the beaches of Tioman, two butterflies presented a photo opportunity. I took several shots, experimenting with the point of focus and moving to shift the background. I only had a few seconds before they flew away. Here is the best shot, with one version cropped in closer. Which do you prefer? The left shows a nice bulb of yellow flowers on the left corner that complements the orange of the butterflies; the right shows more details of the butterflies.

Despite playing with the cropping and saturation of the photos, I still find that I'm not happy with them. The colours just look washed-out with no 'pop'. Any suggestions on how to improve this shot? I'm thinking that I could perhaps have used a smaller aperture and try to get the whole scene in focus; that should look nice. I'll try to sharpen it a little more with unsharp mask in PS and see it that helps. Any other suggestions?

No comments: